Heads of School are appointed to provide strategic direction, academic and discipline/subject leadership and line management for staff within the School.
The post carries responsibility through the line management of the Vice Chancellor for the implementation and execution at School level of the University’s Mission Statement, Corporate Plan KPIs and targets (including KPIs in relation to NSS, Attainment, Publications), and institutional policies and procedures.
Heads of School are expected to maintain their academic standing and authority through teaching, research and scholarly activities. They will be expected to develop and build a national and international profile for the School and its subjects, furthering growth whilst enhancing the quality of provision.
As Head of School, the post holder is responsible for the continued development, growth and financial sustainability of the School’s portfolio and within agreed limits, the investment into areas of strategic priority.
The responsibilities of the post are inherently of a management nature and therefore the post holder will be an active and engaged member of the University’s leadership team facilitating a positive and productive relationship between School and University in furtherance of targets & objectives.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic direction and academic leadership in the School within the context of University priorities. In particular developing and implementing, through course teams, strategies directly aligned to the key themes set out in the University’s Education Strategy (for example, digital fluency, internationalization within teaching and learning, equality in degree attainment);
- To drive transformational change and growth of the School, through effective leadership, to support the achievement of School objectives;
- Work with the university management to ensure the delivery of the University’s Research Strategy, including setting targets for research income and publications for research-active members of staff;
- To lead the strategic development and viability of the School’s course portfolio, with reference and regard for national and international benchmarks and ensuring that the School’s competitive standing and academic credibility drives the development of product portfolio and leading edge solutions, maximizing opportunities and capability;
- Understand the external market and competitive position to be able to drive change and develop new ideas/product taking account of market and audience demand;
- To develop and build a national and international profile for the School’s subjects both internally, externally, nationally and internationally, as appropriate;
- Work with other Heads of School and other staff to identify new opportunities for cross and inter-disciplinary working;
- Continually enhance the student experience by ensuring all courses and modules within the responsibility of the School comply with University requirements in terms of meeting quality requirements, performance indicators and ensuring an effective student support system is maintained;
- Work with Coventry University to support the development and delivery of Coventry University’s quality accreditation for all of the School’s awards.
- Undertake day-to-day management of the School including allocation and monitoring of responsibilities and workloads and chairing appropriate meetings and working groups;
- Responsible for the effective deployment of financial resources devolved to the School and to advise the university management on resources as they affect the School;
- Implement the Reward and Performance Strategy for all staff in the School, making appropriate arrangements for staff appraisals to support the embedding of the University Values and the identification of development needs;
- Work closely with the university management to ensure that School priorities are implemented and targets met, and that the needs of the School are understood;
- Participate in, and when appropriate chair, the process for appointments of staff;
- Ensure that the School makes effective contributions to home and overseas student recruitment, representing the School at University Open Days and traveling to key recruitment markets if required and marketing the School and the University including work with external partner organizations;
- Take responsibility for regular and effective communication within the School and to/from the University;
AND such other duties as are within the scope and spirit of the job purpose, the title of the post and its grading.
The Post holder will be directly accountable to the university management and will be required to work closely with the other Heads of School.
All staff across the University, students and external contacts/bodies.
A PhD plus experience in the
relevant Computing area or an
equivalent level of professional
experience alongside a
postgraduate qualification in the
Evidence the achievement of
the Criteria for Principal Fellow
within the UK Professional
Standards Framework for
Higher Education, or a suitable
Membership of relevant
An approved teaching
Academic credibility built upon
achievements through teaching
excellence and research.
Full understanding of a student
centered approach to curriculum
development and program
A strong sense of the external
market/environment and personal
drive to take advantage of
An understanding of modern and
innovative approaches to teaching
and learning including IT
Experience of managing a large
scale operation e.g.
management and dealing with a
range of staffing issues.
Previous leadership and
management experience of
medium to large diverse teams in
an academic context.
Project management and planning
experience in pedagogy.
Experience of leadership with
Egyptian and/or international
Record of practice/research consultancy or publications in an
area related to the School’s work.
Good track record of successful
bids for research and/or
Ability to identify and exploit
innovative and effective strategies
in relation to enhancing student
experience and satisfaction and
the teaching, learning and
assessment approaches within the
Awareness of the opportunities
and approaches to secure new
forms of external funding
Experience of partnership working
with external organizations in
relation to teaching, learning and
assessment and student
satisfaction and experience.
Able to think strategically and
identify academic opportunities
related to the work of the School.
Success in tendering and securing external funding.
Job-related skills and capabilities:
Able to understand University
strategy/direction of travel and
the ability to translate this into
Effective Leadership skills that
provide focus, energy and an
environment which facilitates
others to both perform and
Management skills that balance
effective delegation and a
consultative approach to decision
Creativity and innovation in
problem-solving, decision making
and business development.
Ability to manage budgets and
allocate resources effectively Customer relationship
High-level communication skills
both oral and written with ability
to act as a representative of the
School and University in a wide
range of situations, both internally
and externally, nationally and
Negotiation, influencing and
enabling skills to ensure School
priorities are met.
Ability to present and
communicate complex issues in a
readily accessible format.
Accepts personal responsibility,
proactively identifies the need for
and manages change.
Collaborative working across the
university and Service functions.
Be able to work flexibly and use
own initiative when appropriate.
A positive ‘can do’ attitude and
Be able to travel and represent the
University in Egypt, the UK and
overseas, as required.
Excellent English skills, both written
Awareness of current issues in
Higher Education and funding
agencies, with particular reference
to student funding.
Experience of working abroad
or working in partnership with
Work experience in Egypt or
Competence in more than one
Knowledge of Arabic
- Job Location
- Cairo, Egypt
- Company Industry
- Other Business Support Services
- Company Type
- Employer (Private Sector)
- Job Role
- Teaching and Academics
- Employment Type
- Monthly Salary Range
- Number of Vacancies
- Career Level