How to become an architect: An architect is a person who registered to the council of the architect, having the rights to design, construct the buildings. An architect gives new design, shape to the buildings by carving them one by one on the walls. Before constructing the buildings, they make a fictional design or model and transform it into a real form. An architect can build complexes, malls, commercial buildings and civil construction by his innovative ideas and ability. An architect’s responsibility is to make a layout of the building/ house so that a sustainable and strong structure will be created.
What is an architect?
An architect is a vast profession who construct, design different kinds of buildings for human residency. Being an architect is an excellent job for the creative mind of people. Having a successful career in this architectural field, candidates require perfect knowledge of maths, physics, social mastery and other basic techniques about this field. By using advanced computer technology, an architect explores different types of construction strategies. It is not an easy job as it seems, a successful architect sacrifices a lot and works hard to achieve the top position.
Eligibility Criteria to become an Architect
Architecture should be inventive and practical towards the work. For this candidate should also have perfect knowledge of designing, fundamental geomagnetic knowledge is essential for the architect. Here we have shared eligibility requirements for an architect for better career options.
How to become an architect- step-wise process
1st Step: Diploma
Candidates can go for the engineering diploma after passing class 10th exams.
2nd Step: Bachelor’s degree
The aspirant must have a Bachelor of Architect degree through an accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board.
3rd Step: Internship Program
Internship Program is likely for three years and it gives practical occurrence to make a career in architecture. Most of the States provide internship shots through the Intern Development Program by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards or the American Institute of Architect.
4th Step: Become Licensed
After completion of a Bachelor’s degree and Internship, you are eligible to acquire licensure by passing the Architect Registration Examination, to become a practising architect in your states.
5th Step: Apply for an architect position
When you become licensed, apply for the work as an architect. You can choose your category according to your choice. You can work for a company or private practice and so on.
6th Step: Professional Certifications
Professional certification develops your professional proficiency and experiences and makes it easier to get a good job in this sector. Additional national certification is provided by the National Council of Architectural Registration Board.
7th Step: Master’s Degree
Master’s degree makes your position strong and opens a lot of scope in the same field. Master of Architecture Programs provided by the NAAB. After a Master’s degree, you can wish to be an architectural teacher and shape your career in different ways.
Top Institute of Architecture
To pursue the dream of becoming an architect, aspirants should apply for architecture courses offered by premium institutes-
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Roorkee
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Kozhikode
- School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi
- College of Engineering, Trivandrum
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Tiruchirappalli
- School of Planning and Architecture, Madhya Pradesh
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi
- School of Planning and Architecture, Vijayawada
Architecture Course Fee
The following fees configuration of the top colleges/institutes are mentioned below.
|Campus name||Fee Configuration|
|IIT Kharagpur||Rs. 10.46 Lakh|
|IIT Roorkee||Rs. 10.50 Lakh|
|NIT, Calicut||Rs. 6.78 Lakh|
|School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi||Rs. 1.67 Lakh|
|IIEST, Shibpur||Rs. 1.94 Lakh|
|BIT Mesra, Ranchi||Rs. 16.30 Lakh|
|Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology, Bhopal||Rs. 7.05 Lakh|
Career Scope of an Architect
Architecture has a unique reasoning power which creates fresh ideas for any system. There are several varieties of the architect job roles which help you to select best for your career.
- Architectural Engineer- Architectural engineers design the structure of the buildings by applying science and technology. They also use electrical, mechanical and lighting and many more gadgets to make it live.
- Architectural Managers- To complete the project architectural manager solves the technical problem along with determining staffs, the budget of the project, training and other things.
- Civil Engineers- Civil Engineers construct large infrastructures such as dams, airports, tunnels, bridges, buildings and so on. They also supervise and maintain the infrastructure projects of the private and public division.
- Construction Managers- The purpose of a construction manager is to monitor time, cost and delivery of the project. To completion of the project without any problems is the responsibility of a construction manager.
- Industrial Designers- They formulate the concept of the products of our daily life, an instance of cars, homes, appliance additional gadgets.
- Construction and Building Inspector- They ensure sustainability, safety, design of the building. They are also known as building construction officers or approved inspectors.
- Interior Designers- Interior Designer makes the beautiful, safe and colourful designs for a building. They use lighting, materials and different types of tools to make the building elegant.
- Landscape Architect- They design parks, streetscapes, plazas, residences, campuses and plan many more projects for human and environmental health.
An Architect: Top Recruiting Companies
Here mentioned below top companies offer you good employment opportunities to make your dreams come true.
- Shilpa Architect
- Architecture Brio
- Architect Hafiz Contractor
- Oscar and Ponni Architect
- Kembhavi Architecture Foundation
- VSA Space Design (P) Ltd
- Chitra Vishwanath Architects
- Sahara Group
- Larsen and Toubro
Salary of an Architect
The salary of an Architect depends on the experience and position. The salary package is impressive in the private sector. The starting salary is ranging from Rs. 3 to 5 lakh per annum. The more you will get experienced, the range of salary will increase and it will go upto Rs. 7 to 10 lakhs per annum.
Required Skills to become an Architect
A few skills listed below which are required to be a successful and excellent architect.
- Thinking & reasoning skills
- Customer service skills
- Perfect knowledge of building & construction
- Verbal communication skill
- Legal knowledge
- Team Working skills
- Engineering ability
- Leadership quality
- Problem-solving nature
Stay connected with studygrades for more careers options!